Connect with us

Society

COVID-19: Deputy PM orders serious management of people coming from abroad

Published

on

Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam on October 15 demanded serious compliance with rules on the management of people entering Vietnam so as to prevent the transmission of COVID-19.

COVID-19: Deputy PM orders serious management of people coming from abroad hinh anh 1

Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam speaks at the meeting of the national steering committee for COVID-19 prevention and control on October 15 (Photo: VNA)

At the meeting of the national steering committee for COVID-19 prevention and control in Hanoi, Deputy Minister of Health Do Xuan Tuyen reported that as of October 15 afternoon, 38.8 million infection cases had been reported around the world, including nearly 1.1 million deaths.

Europe is facing a new outbreak as the number of new COVID-19 cases has been rising sharply there. Many European countries have re-imposed measures in efforts to contain the resurgence, he noted.

Meanwhile, Vietnam has gone through 43 consecutive days without new community infections. It has reported 1,124 cases of COVID-19 so far, including 35 fatalities.

Tuyen said the Ministry of Health (MoH) has worked with other ministries and sectors to draft procedures for the entry, monitoring and health quarantine of those entering Vietnam from “safe countries” via commercial flights.

At present, people entering Vietnam have to undergo COVID-19 testing three times, instead of twice like previously regulated, so as to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The MoH is managing information about those entering the country, and it will provide access rights for local authorities and health and police forces in the time ahead so as to facilitate the monitoring of these persons in their localities, the deputy minister added.

At the meeting, experts emphasised three groups that may trigger COVID-19 transmission: people entering Vietnam illegally, those entering legally but not adhering to disease prevention and control rules, and some imported goods.

Discussing procedures and measures to manage persons coming from abroad, they also stressed the need to create favourable conditions for foreign entrepreneurs, investors, workers, and experts to enter Vietnam so as to meet domestic production and business demand.

Deputy Minister of Transport Le Anh Tuan suggested relevant agencies soon issue detailed guidance for the reopening of commercial international air routes, with priority given to routes linking with safe countries, so as to help realise the “twin targets” of fighting against COVID-19 and promoting economic growth.

Given the rapid spread of COVID-19 around the world, Director of the MoH’s Department of Preventive Medicine Dang Quang Tan said although the domestic disease situation has been brought under control, staying vigilance is a must since winter with favourable weather for the virus development is coming.

Disease prevention and control measures still need to be continued, especially communications to raise public awareness, he added, recommending big and populous localities like Hanoi, Da Nang and Khanh Hoa to make the wearing of face masks compulsory and fine any who refuses to do so like in Ho Chi Minh City.

Echoing the view, Deputy PM Vu Duc Dam pointed out that as COVID-19 is spreading rapidly in the world, with almost 400,000 new cases every day, Vietnam must not be off guard but consolidate all forces and ready all anti-pandemic measures.

He requested serious management and quarantine of people entering the country, stressing that they still have to be monitored for another 14 days after finishing their quarantine period so as not to enable a new outbreak./.VNA

Source: https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/covid-19-deputy-pm-orders-serious-management-of-people-coming-from-abroad-681534.html

Society

Health Ministry reports one more imported case of Covid-19

Published

on

Workers undergo temperature checks before work to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Vietnam’s Covid-19 infections jumped by one to reach 1,169 as of October 26 – PHOTO: HEALTH MINISTRY

HCMC – Vietnam’s Covid-19 infections jumped by one to reach 1,169 to date, with the latest patient being quarantined in northern Ninh Binh Province upon his arrival in the country, confirmed the Health Ministry.

The 57-year-old man is a resident in the southern province of Ba Ria-Vung Tau. On October 16, he returned home from Russia on Flight VN5062 which landed at Van Don airport in Quang Ninh Province. The man is under quarantine and treatment at a medical clinic in Ninh Binh.

Earlier, 14 passengers boarding this flight had been confirmed as positive for Covid-19. They were also taken to quarantine facilities in Quang Ninh, Nam Dinh, Ninh Binh provinces upon arrival.

As of this evening, October 26, the number of Covid-19 recoveries in the country was 1,061 while 35 other cases have died of the novel coronavirus.

Source: https://english.thesaigontimes.vn/79129/health-ministry-reports-one-more-imported-case-of-covid-19.html

Continue Reading

Society

Trial for BIDV case opens

Published

on

The defendants appear for their first-instance hearing at the Hanoi People’s Court today, October 26 – PHOTO: VNA

HCMC – The Hanoi People’s Court on October 26 opened the first-instance hearing for 12 defendants, including eight leaders and employees of the Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam (BIDV), who were accused of allegedly causing losses of nearly VND1.7 trillion for the bank.

The accused comprise Tran Luc Lang and Doan Anh Sang, former deputy general directors of BIDV; Kieu Dinh Hoa, former director of BIDV’s Ha Tinh branch; Le Thi Van Anh, former head of the corporate client division at BIDV’s Ha Tinh branch; Pham Hong Quang, former head of BIDV’s customer service division; Ngo Duy Chinh, former director of BIDV’s Ha Thanh branch; Nguyen Xuan Giap, former deputy director of the branch and Dang Thanh Nam, an ex-official in charge of customer management at the branch. They were charged with allegedly violating regulations on banking operations and other activities relating to these operations.

Four others who were accused of abusing trust to appropriate assets consist of Tran Anh Quang and Dinh Van Dung, former general directors of Binh Ha Company; Doan Hong Dung, former director of Trung Dung Company and Nguyen Thi Thanh Son, former director of Ha Nam company and a capital contributor of Trung Dung Company.

The hearing is planned to last for 10 days, the local media reported.

BIDV former chairman Tran Bac Ha, who was said to be the mastermind, died while undergoing detention after a long illness.

According to the indictment, from 2011 to 2016, taking advantage of his position, Ha directed his subordinates at BIDV and its Ha Tinh and Ha Thanh branches to grant loans to the Binh Ha and Trung Dung companies with incentives that went against the regulations of the State Bank of Vietnam and BIDV although the two companies did not have enough financial capital to be eligible to borrow the loans.

BIDV Ha Tinh disbursed loans worth over VND2.6 trillion to Binh Ha Company and later failed to control the amount and the shareholders of Binh Ha used the money for improper purposes.

By November 2018, the company still owed the bank VND1.2 trillion, including nearly VND800 billion of irrecoverable debts.

Ha also asked the subordinates at BIDV’s Ha Thanh branch to approve 26 loans for Hanoi-based Trung Dung Company, causing damages worth more than VND864 billion.

Source: https://english.thesaigontimes.vn/79123/trial-for-bidv-case-opens-.html

Continue Reading

Society

PM orders stopping non-essential meetings to deal with upcoming storm

Published

on

Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc (standing) chairs a meeting this morning to discuss measures to cope with the powerful storm, Molave – PHOTO: VNA

HCMC – At the National Steering Committee for Disaster Prevention and Control’s meeting held this morning, October 26, to discuss measures to prepare for the powerful storm, Molave, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc asked the ministries and local authorities to stop non-essential meetings, mobilize resources and urge localities to take action to mitigate the impact of the storm.

Vietnam, especially the central region, is facing overlapping storms and flooding. The upcoming storm Molave is forecast to pack strong winds at level 12, which could cause severe damage to the areas it passes through. Therefore, the leader of the Government stressed that ministries and local authorities must remain on high alert.

The prime minister ordered the competent agencies and local authorities to continue to make drastic moves in search and rescue operations as well as to provide prompt and effective support to the five central provinces hit by flooding.

In addition, local authorities must find ways to bring fishermen and their boats back to shore before the storm makes landfall, evacuate residents from landslide-prone areas as heavy rains, flooding and mountainous landslides could occur during the storm, he added.

Tran Quang Hoai, head of the Directorate for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, said at the meeting that if Molave makes landfall packing strong winds at level 12, authorities will have to evacuate more than 1.2 million residents.

Hoai added that 45,000 of the 65,000 fishing boats operating in high-risk areas have been notified of the storm. Competent agencies must urge the remaining boats to find shelter.

Source: https://english.thesaigontimes.vn/79122/pm-orders-stopping-non-essential-meetings-to-deal-with-upcoming-storm.html

Continue Reading

Trending