Connect with us

Society

Five Vietnamese sailors missing in fishing boat fire in waters off RoK

Published

on

Five Vietnamese sailors went missing as a fishing boat carrying eight crew members caught fire in waters off the resort island of Jeju of the Republic of Korea (RoK) on March 4, reported Yonhap News Agency.

Five Vietnamese sailors missing in fishing boat fire in waters off RoK hinh anh 1

The fishing boat catches fire in waters off Jeju island of the RoK (Photo: Yonhap)

The RoK Coast Guard said that a fire broke out on the 29-tonne ship at around 3:18 am (local time) in waters about 74 km southeast of Udo Island near Jeju.

Two Koreans aboard have been rescued so far, while another one is unaccounted for, with search operations still under way.

Adverse weather conditions have hampered efforts to put out the fire and find the crew, Yonhap said, quoting a Coast Guard officer.

Body of missing Vietnamese sailor found in sunken Panamanian ship

Five Vietnamese sailors missing in fishing boat fire in waters off RoK

Cargo ship Jia De (Photo: vesseltracker.com)

Nguyen Van Tri, one of the two Vietnamese sailors working onboard a Panama-flagged cargo ship that sank on October 12, 2019 in Tokyo Bay of Japan, was found dead inside the vessel.

The victim’s wife, Huong Thao, told the Vietnam News Agency (VNA) that the ship owner informed the company that sent her husband to work on the ship Jia De about the finding on February 14.

However, the Japanese side just confirmed the information after conducting ADN tests more than one week later, the wife said, adding that she is completing necessary procedures to bring her husband’s ashes home, scheduled for March 5.

Tri’s Vietnamese crewmate, Pham Van Duc, had been rescued by the Japan Coast Guard (JCG).

The sailors were among the 12-member crew of the 1,925-tonne ship that sunk while anchoring in the bay as typhoon Hagibis approached. The other sailors included three from Myanmar and seven from China.

Apart from Duc, two Myanmar and one Chinese people were rescued by the JCG while the remaining eight sailors were confirmed dead./. VNA

Source: Vietnamnet.vn (https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/five-vietnamese-sailors-missing-in-fishing-boat-fire-in-waters-off-rok-621369.html)

Society

Ancient citadel to be renovated for $32 mln

Published

on

Ancient citadel to be renovated for $32 mln

A stonewall of the Ho Dynasty Citadel in Thanh Hoa is damaged. Photo by VnExpress/Le Hoang


Over VND745 billion ($32.7 million) will be spent to renovate the Ho Citadel in Thanh Hoa in the next four years, the provincial authorities stated.

The recently approved project to preserve, restore and renovate components of the citadel will require around VND300 billion from the north-central province’s budget. The rest will come from the central government’s budget and other sources.

The main investor of the project would be Thanh Hoa Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism. It is expected to last from 2022 to 2025.

Components chosen for restoration and renovation include a 9,000-square-meter archaeological exhibition site, a trench spanning 1,000 meters, internal traffic routes and other infrastructure.

Built in 1397 by Ho Dynasty as the capital of Dai Ngu, the country’s name from 1400 to 1407, the citadel served as a military stronghold and became a symbol of patriotism and national pride.

It is unique for its construction technique, which involved the use of large blocks of stone weighing 10-26 tons that were carefully shaped, interlocked and raised up by around 10 meters.

In 2011, the citadel was recognized by the UNESCO as a world heritage.

The north wall of the citadel has been significantly damaged due to impacts from storms and heavy rain.

In October 2018 the U.S. Ambassador Daniel Kritenbrink’s Fund for Cultural Preservation approved a $92,500 grant to conserve the south gate, the most important remaining structure in the citadel. The work was completed last year.

Source: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/ancient-citadel-to-be-renovated-for-32-mln-4375899.html

Continue Reading

Society

3,373 new cases of COVID-19 reported on Saturday

Published

on

A hair salon in Hà Nội’s Trần Quang Diệu Street is quarantined after a hair stylist was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus today. People who had close contact with the patient have been quarantined. — VNA/ Photo Tuấn Đức

HÀ NỘI — The Ministry of Health announced 3,373 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, along with a further 77 COVID-related deaths. 

Among these new cases, 112 were imported and 3,361 were local transmissions. Of these, 1,332 were detected in the community.

The national tally now stands at 884,895, of which 880,149 are the result of the fourth wave of infections that swept the country since late April.

HCM City remained the locality with the highest number of infections of 749, a decrease of 456 cases compared to Friday’s figure. This was followed by Đồng Nai Province with 605 and Bình Dương Province with 517.

The capital city of Hà Nội recorded seven new cases.

The other cases were detected in An Giang (224), Tiền Giang (156), Bạc Liêu (130), Kiên Giang (97), Tây Ninh (90), Bình Thuận (81), Phú Thọ (75), Long An (68), Trà Vinh (58), Gia Lai (53), Cần Thơ (43), Cà Mau (40), Khánh Hòa (39), Bà Rịa – Vũng Tàu (38), Thừa Thiên Huế (34), Đồng Tháp (32), Hậu Giang (25), Nghệ An (23), Bình Phước (22), Thanh Hóa (18), Vĩnh Long (15), Quảng Nam (13), Quảng Ngãi (12), Bình Định (12), Kon Tum (11), Bến Tre (10), Phú Yên (8 ), Quảng Trị (7), Ninh Thuận (7), Thái Bình (6), Hà Giang (6), Hà Nam (5), Bắc Ninh (5), Lào Cai (5), Nam Định (3), Hải Phòng (2), Bắc Giang (2), Đà Nẵng (2), Ninh Bình (2), Đắk Nông (1), Hà Tĩnh (1), Quảng Ninh (1) and Tuyên Quang (1).

The 77 COVID-related deaths were in HCM City (42), Bình Dương (12), Đồng Nai (5), Long An (3), Sóc Trăng (3), Tiền Giang (2), An Giang (2), Ninh Thuận (2), Bình Phước (1), Đắk Nông (1), Cần Thơ (1), Trà Vinh (1), Bạc Liêu (1) and Thanh Hoá (1).

According to the Ministry of Health’s report, 2,977 patients nationwide are in serious condition, with 16 on life support (ECMO).

A further 1,338 patients were given the all-clear on Saturday, taking the total number of recoveries to 804,664.

HCM City’s Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control has announced a plan to vaccinate children aged between 12 and 17. About 780,000 children aged 12-17 in the city are expected to get a vaccination.

Almost 1.66 million vaccine doses were administered in Việt Nam on Saturday. The country has now inoculated 71.8 million doses of vaccine to date, with more than 20.7 million people fully vaccinated. —

Source: https://vietnamnews.vn/society/1064796/3373-new-cases-of-covid-19-reported-on-saturday.html

Continue Reading

Society

COVID-19 updates in Việt Nam on October 23 afternoon

Published

on

From 5pm on October 22 to 5pm on October 23, on the National System of COVID-19 Case Management, 3,373 new infections were recorded, of which 12 were imported and 3,361 were recorded domestically (down 616 cases compared to the previous day) in 47 provinces and cities (with 1,332 cases in the community).

 

– Provinces and cities recorded cases as follows: HCM City (749), Đồng Nai (605), Bình Dương (517), An Giang (224), Tiền Giang (156), Bạc Liêu (130), Kiên Giang (97), Tây Ninh (90), Bình Thuận (81), Phú Thọ (75), Long An (68), Trà Vinh (58), Gia Lai (53), Cần Thơ (43), Cà Mau (40), Khánh Hòa (39), Bà Rịa – Vũng Tàu (38), Thừa Thiên Huế (34), Đồng Tháp (32), Hậu Giang (25), Nghệ An (23), Bình Phước (22), Thanh Hóa (18), Vĩnh Long (15), Quảng Nam (13), Quảng Ngãi (12), Bình Định (12), Kon Tum (11), Bến Tre (10), Phú Yên (8 ), Quảng Trị (7), Hà Nội (7), Ninh Thuận (7), Thái Bình (6), Hà Giang (6), Hà Nam (5), Bắc Ninh (5), Lào Cai (5), Nam Định (3), Hải Phòng (2), Bắc Giang (2), Đà Nẵng (2), Ninh Bình (2), Đắk Nông (1), Hà Tĩnh (1), Quảng Ninh (1), Tuyên Quang (1).

Source: https://vietnamnews.vn/society/1064785/covid-19-updates-in-viet-nam-on-october-23-afternoon.html

Continue Reading

Trending